Zimmermans in BA

Take a look at our lives in Buenos Aires:

Zimmerman Family Video from dFeLo on Vimeo.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Retreat, reflect, reality

A leaders retreat! My mind quickly ran to picturing my weekend as I began to pack for our annual leaders' retreat with the church. In my mind there would be lots of talking, thinking and planning for 2012 of course, but also there would be lots of hanging out on a blanket having " mate" and just relaxing and enjoying nature. Ahhhhh! "A retreat, just what I need, " were my thoughts. I also was thirsting to meet with God with the other leadership and seek his face for 2012.

Well, although much of that did happen and I am thankful for the wonderful talks and discsussions, my retreat was much more of my reality following me to the retreat. What I mean by that is that long gone are the days of a retreat where you can disconnect and just breathe when your kids come along! Aha! K and I were finally together at a retreat but so were our three other participants of the Z clan. So the stress of bedtimes, meal times, entertaining them (although we had great childcare ) quickly intruded in my idea of a retreat! I would hear the pastor preaching on Psalm 23 and I just couldn't absorb it at the time. With the kiddos not sleeping, wet shoes from outside, settling sibling disputes, locating snacks, planning movie times, and fighting with DVD players.. I was zonked. I asked myself, Lord why am I here.. why a retreat if I can't "retreat" from my reality?

Well at 10 pm at night, on Sat after a great time of worship and prayer.. one of the youth gets a call from her dad frantic that her baby sister.. 18 months .. was hit by a stray bullet in her head. Information was scarce as the dad was running to the hospital. We quickly began to comfort and speak with the two older sisters and then we all gathered to pray. I thought, "man, talk about reality in the midst of a retreat.. a cruel reality." We had no idea if the baby would live or what the details were. K googled maps to get the girls to the hospital. Finally about an hour later.. the news came that the baby was fine, the bullet was lodged in her cheek and she would be fine. Praise God!! We all rejoiced!

Wow.. for me that was just such a picture of community and love and support. All we could do was cry out and pray and the Lord heard our cry. The baby is doing fine today and she is home.

But returning to Psalm 23... Our pastor ended the retreat time at church on Sunday and man the message hit home. The Lord met me in the midst of my reality, in the midst of a different type of retreat. I was reminded in a powerful way that He takes us by still waters, green pastures, guides us with his rod and staff. He is all we need for ministry, for life, for whatever our "reality" may hold. From an exhausted mom needing a break to a horrific random sudden tradegy.. He is our Shepherd, we shall not want!

1 comment:

cdanusiar said...

Amen and amen.

Delighted for you, and in your great care for at least one of the child minders, Peace